Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Spend 30 minutes meeting my "HERO"

There are "some" people in this world who just make life easier for others. There are "some" people in this life who just seem to "get it". There are "some" people who are always giving. There are "some" people in this life who live in a constant blend between what they say and what they do, and it always matches. There are "some" people in this life who care about others....then, there IS Melissa. She was all of that and more to so many people.  I hope you will spend the time to click on the links and get to know my hero and her hero as well.

She was called princess, angel, and other nicknames, but she to me will always be my one and only Missy. That nickname will never be used by me again, kind of the way a team retires a jersey for a star player - Missy is that star.

There are other similarities between her and a star athlete, though certainly not in her look. By the time this disgusting disease (and all the collateral problems it caused, cancer, osteoporosis, arthritis, kidney failure, diabetes, etc) was done with her, she had the body of a young teenager. However, if a person could be truly measured like a marketing program, Missy was a star in every way imaginable, because she impacted all who came in contact with her. Everyone who ever met her was instantly connected, because they were immediately part of a unique group of people, and would for the rest of their life, claim it as such - they knew Melissa Boyett. One of my favorite stories was when I was at a conference in Oregon, and a person noticed my last name and quickly asked, "you aren't related to Melissa Boyett are you?" They had been visiting family in Jacksonville, and saw her on the news, but months later, still recalled her name, and shared the impact her story had on them with me. That was not uncommon. If you are reading this and are starting to think, I want to know more, be careful, there will be responsibility that comes from learning more (don't say you were not warned).  Her story will go on, and she will be remembered far longer than most athletes will, and in the grand scheme of life, her impact will be much larger. The reason, she understood what a blessing each day is, and lived her entire life that way. Watch this!

After watching the movie The Bucket List, Missy made one, and then got many done. There are many I don't know, but one was to skydive...you guessed it, she did it (osteoporosis, failing lungs, low oxygen levels and all). I was so blessed to be part of one of her items, she had always wanted to go to Nashville and see the live music artist - last May...CHECK!  

I feel as if I could write a book about her, and if anyone's life ever deserved one, it was hers. However, to be fair, she wouldn't want it that way. You see, what makes here who she IS, is that her life was never about her, it was about HIM.  She was the girl that when she said she would pray for you, she did.  I remember when she was so little, and was first diagnosed with CF, I remember wanting to not get close to her, so I wouldn't have to feel the pain of her death, that didn't last very long. She won me over, as she did anyone else who ever had such a selfish thought. I remember the first time I heard Garth Brooks sing "The Dance", I knew, I would be so glad I had danced with her - both figuratively and literally!

Even though I have used the word "IS" for her life in this post, she passed on today. My hero is now with her hero rejoicing. She no longer has pain, and can finally know rest.  I find myself feeling a little strange tonight, didn't really see this coming. I know I am supposed to be sad, and I have cried, and suspect I will shed many more tears while missing her, but right now, I am just so happy for her, that I am no able to connect to the sadness I think I should have. I miss her, but am thrilled for her too. Another song that always made
 me think of her and how she would get to rest one day - Go Rest Missy!
The hardest part of the future is to think of what her legacy will be. The funny thing about it is, the truest way to honor her, is to point to her hero, not mine. As a result, I will close this blog with a link to her testimony, which is just the spoken words of the life she lived. The thing that made Melissa so unique, is that she was "some" of all that is supposed to be, all wrapped up in a body that most wouldn't want, which made the truth about who she IS so much clearer to see. Praise God for His amazing plan, and for how He uses even the worst, for His best - it is as how Missy would want it!


No comments:

Post a Comment